Mass Save Program: Bringing Savings to the Masses
The MA Residential Conservation Services Program
Mass Save® is a partnership among electric and gas utilities, energy efficiency service providers, and the Massachusetts Dept. of Energy Resources. This partnership helps owners of one- to four-family homes to use less energy and make major energy efficiency home improvements. Providing unparalleled success by delivering Residential Conservation Services to NSTAR and National Grid customers since 1994, CSG is at the forefront of bringing Massachusetts to rank #1 in efficiency out of all 50 states.
Program sponsors sought to decrease residential energy consumption and enhance comfort, durability, health, and safety. Through Mass Save — the Residential Conservation Services program — customers also save money and contribute to a healthier environment. In addition to CSG clients NSTAR and National Grid, Mass Save program sponsors include Columbia Gas of Massachusetts, Berkshire Gas, Cape Light Compact, New England Gas, Unitil and Western Massachusetts Electric.
Conservation Services Group's ROLE in Mass Save
CSG was selected to implement the Mass Save program and address barriers hindering
energy efficiency investments in existing homes, including:
- Lack of customer awareness
- Difficulty conveying the benefits of the “whole house as a system” approach
- Rebate fluctuation among utilities
CSG provides information on Mass Save rebates, incentives, and financing available for energy
efficient products and services. We also:
- Perform Mass Save Home Energy Assessments and some energy efficiency upgrades
- Arrange contractor services for additional upgrades
- Coordinate the Mass Save program’s immensely popular Heat Loan low-interest financing program
- Energy efficiency upgrades effectively marketed to homeowner
- Greater cooperation from consumers in making significant changes
- Reduced usage and ultimately saved money
- $83 million in low-interest financing for weatherization and other energy efficiency improvements in 2006-2011
- Many thousands of households benefitted by receiving Home Energy Assessments and/or measure installations
- Significant, ongoing energy savings for both consumers and utility companies
Strategy & goals
When a qualified customer is interested in an efficiency upgrade for their home,
Conservation Services Group’s trained Energy Specialists conduct a Mass Save energy audit — a thorough visual
evaluation of the home’s thermal envelope and mechanical systems. CSG successfully
addressed barriers and challenges by:
- Launching media and direct mail campaigns
- Utilizing its state-of-the-art Customer Contact Center in Fall River, MA to carefully
screen prospective customers and provide information
- Demonstrating to homeowners how to achieve maximum energy efficiency
Among the goals met through the dedication of our staff, CSG delivered:
- Measurable and increasing energy savings for homeowners and utilities
- Improved knowledge among consumers regarding efficiency, home performance and the
- Coordinated marketing approach leveraging the ENERGY STAR brand
Conservation Services Group delivered tens of thousands of comprehensive whole-house Home Energy Assessments. Consumers contracted for thermostats, refrigerators, insulation upgrades, blower door directed air sealing, and duct leakage testing. In 2011, more than 3,300 National Grid and NSTAR customers qualified for $28.3 million through the Mass Save HEAT Loan low interest financing.
The Mass Save HEAT Loan provides customers an opportunity to apply for a zero percent loan
from participating lenders to assist with qualified energy efficient improvements.
Loans are available up to $25,000 with terms up to seven years. Eligible customers
all obtained a Home Energy Assessment through Mass Save.
Conservation Services Group Contact
Robert Eckel, Regional Vice President, New England